The Qabalistic Thoth 9 of Swords, Cruelty.
This card isn't about experiencing cruel actions from others, (unless noted by other cards in the reading) even thought that has happened in the past or present, rather it is about self-abusive thought. Negative thinking
, feeling sorry for yourself and crying about life, emotions flowing with the tide of events, rather than being a dynamic action in life. The Thoth 9 represents the personality/ego as being a victim of its own fears and the spirit is shedding tears of empathy (white tears in the back-ground) simply because the ego isn't listening to the "master within", as it is totally focused on its own nightmare (tears of blood from the swords). Therefore the personality has become a lost child whose own crying "over silt milk" drowns out the wise directions whispered by the spirit within.
There is also a sense of anger that leads to seclusion. As you may have deduced by now, swords are generally about ways of thinking. They represent the many states of mind, from the Super-conscious (The Greater Self) to the personal self absorbed conscious that we have ignorantly called the ego.
When the Thoth 9 of Swords, Cruelty-card is thrown, it indicates that:
- The ego is focused mainly on fear of pain, an unable to move on.
- Insomnia can be another negative result of this focus.
The astrological aspect of this card is Mars in Gemini
. Mars being the planet of energy, assertion and vitality while Gemini in this instance, is the sign of reworking things back and forth in a particularly self critical manner.
When this card is thrown,
- In the next 9 weeks or 9 months, you are determined to release negative- self- degrading thinking and go beyond the self-critic in your mind.
- It also may indicate that you are determined to get out of the abuse-victim trap from your past and stop victimizing yourself and others with over critical thought, and learn to tolerate mistakes rather than lash out in fear of error.
- Nines are the number of completion, and are also the number of the Trump -Hermit major arcana card. The Hermit is all about introspection, completion, self- reflection and is the "master Within" that is a major source of energy that will help us past the self-critical belittlement in our egoistic- mind.
- When we are immersed in this self-critical trap, it is a good card to meditate on to pull us out of our "malicious self-morass" and set us on the path of dynamic motion where we see error and correct it rather than fear it. After all, wisdom is developed by seeing our own error and correcting it which points out to us that 50% of wisdom is error and the other half is correction.
- Fear of error is the doom of motion! Free-doom, is the Anglo Saxon term for "I choose my own death." which means we fearlessly go about our life fulfilling our dreams rather than fearing their demise. It is also the root word for our word "freedom" which can only come from the fearless "Hermit-eternal" that is the Master within, i.e. our Spirit.
I'd recommend that the Hermit Trump be meditated on as one would a Mandala as this will invoke the Master Within who will come to our aid. What we forget, is that the Spirit within honors freedom of choice and will not interfere with the ego-conscious thought processes until , asked to do so by that consciousness. Prayer is often another way of asking. So when you are in a conscious loop of fearful thinking and cannot see a way out---call upon the Inner Master, who knows what to do that is both life expanding and liberating. Both meditation and prayer break the loop long enough to be heard by Spirit. For a private reading, either on-line through Skype or in person or even a Tarot Party, call Eli @ 253-324-6037 or Email <email@example.com>. Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper!