The Thoth-THE EIGHT OF SWORDS- Interference, is also called The Lord of Shortened Force.
This card is attributed to Jupiter in Gemini, and Jupiter's natural expansiveness is in determent in Gemini, as the duality of Gemini affects Jupiter's positive energy scattering half one way and half the other.
Here, Hod is in Yetzirah, the Astral World.
The angels of the Decan are, Vemibael and Yehohel.
Because of the desire to go
first one way than the other, the shortened forces of Jupiter are scattered, erratic and unstable. This is indeed an interference when trying to focus one's consciousness on a goal. Yes it can be an intense and positive beginning, but it soon loses momentum in misdirection.
Crowley illustrates this in his 8 of Swords, as two strong and long main swords, being crossed ( as in Crossed-up) by six short swords of different designs representing scattered thoughts). The shorter swords also imply: shortened force, narrowness and restriction. There is a definite lack of persistence in intellectual matters and of contest. Jupiter's natural good fortune still attends even the weakest of efforts, yet the will is constantly thwarted by accidental interference.
[Tree of Life illustration from the text book, THE QABALISTIC TAROT, by Robert Wang]
The Eight of Swords also implies:
- A certain amount of fear of change, of moving out of a binding or restricting situation.
- The Positive side of this is that change, no matter how resisted, will soon come anyway.
- The Good Fortune of Jupiter, will show up.
- What is again implied, is stop wasting time and proceed with change, your scattered efforts will not stop it, only interfere with your wholesome transition.
When this card is thrown during a reading:
- Feeling trapped or ashamed, are the beginnings of recognizing the need for change, and moving on ward with your life.
- The mental dissolution or loss of faith in situations or ideas, is a sure sign of progress beyond the old.
- The querent is experiencing confusion, and a feeling of being trapped, isolated by oppressive ideas.
- our perspectives no longer serve your life motion, so new ideas will soon be presented."
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper!