The Qabalistic Thoth Tarot-8 of Wands-Swiftness
, is attributed to Sagittarius (thus the arrow heads on the electric bolts of energy) and is ruled by Mercury--the swift messenger. Because of this energetic union we now have the Fiery Energy bringing down the Tree of Life, the original Will of Chokma (Wisdom). As if this wasn't enough, this card also refers to Hod (8th Sephira)-Splendor, in the suit of Fire whence it refers to the dynamic phenomena of speech, visible light, and electricity.
The illustration of electric rays
vibrating, implies the masculine vibration that constitutes Matter, in this electromagnetic universe. The rainbow above implies the division of pure light into the color spectrum, each ray a frequency of "living light" which is a microwave vibration that stimulates Material into life motion. This rainbow also illustrates the interplay and correlation that constructs "all things". You may have heard this from psychic readers that you have a primary color as a "Life Ray" or your Primary Ray of vibration. Colors, in this case, are themselves the manifestation of Force rather than a reflection of light.
The Thoth 8 of Wands card represents a manifestation of energy in a state of high velocity. The flames have become electric rays and have created an intelligible geometrical form (Matter). The 8 of Wands symbolizes the One energy that is moving the Universal expansion at an incredible speed.
As you can tell from past blogs, this series of Thoth Deck card descriptions is generalized to the number of the Cards, with brief explanations of their foundation- content. I have gone through detailed explanations of each and every card in past blogs, and will continue to do so in the future.
The Four Eights are attributed
(eighth Sepiroth--Splendor) on the Tree of Life. Since Hod is in the same plane as the Sevens (Netzach-victory) the same weaknesses and/or defects that are in the sevens will apply. Yet, in a sense, the alleviation of the Sevens weakness is also being applied in the Eights. One might say that the mischief has been done and their is an action against it---much like white blood cells attacking a intruder in the blood stream; not a total cure but a beginning in that direction.
The Eight of Wands is called SWIFTNESS, because of its lightning like velocity also being attributed to Mercury and Sagittarius implies it is Swift indeed! This is the ethereal (invisible) aspect of pure fire where all gross-material aspects are removed. Fire is no longer conjoined with ideas of combustion and incineration. Therefore, in the 8 of Wands, fire is represented as energy in its most exalted state and suggest electrical current and/or pure light in its material sense. Sagittarius represents light as the rainbow and that is shown on the card, as well as electrical current being shown as lightning bolts, throughout the "as above so below" design of the cubed diamond.
The Thoth, 8 of Wands: Swiftness therefore is
the card of high velocity energy.
The 8 of Wands card shows that light has been turned into the electrical rays that sustain and constitute matter with in the magnetic vessel. The 8 of Wands, represents the energy has been called Prana and/or spiritual energy.
Since the Astrological symbol is Mercury in Sagittarius; Mercury is the planet that represents communication and Sagittarius is the astrological sign associated with swiftness and directness.
- The square represents blocks or obstacles both internal or external that are in the way of direct and swift communication.
- The diamond is the transitional electrical form that happens when the Unconscious communicates swiftly and directly to the consciousness. By taking swift and direct action we can transform any obstacle into a jewel of communication; turning a negative into a positive by positive action.
Where as, the opposite of this card is covert communication and procrastination, that form the blocks to direct and positive communication.
Mercury is not well placed in Sagittarius as its Forces are mitigated and quickly expended in the sign of the Archer. That is why the Thoth Deck 8 of Wands, shows the Forces of Wands in the electric arrow shape; as arrows shot from a bow, the force is quickly spent.
- When thrown, the divinatory meaning of this card is: swiftness or rapidity. It is a spiritual velocity ( called so because it's effects are witnessed although the force itself is unseen.) This is a vibrating power flowing from the Primal Universal Force and often called the "decent of power".
Therefore this card's art represents a type of vibratory "energy" microwave ( there is only One Energy but many vibrations/frequencies) we feel when involved in Pranic (Prana is the name for the Primal Universal Life Force in Yoga) breathing exercises. This swift force will rapidly fade so it must be sent to the acceleration of ideas as part of a combined prana-yama (breathing exercise) and meditation (mental focusing exercise) in order to reap swift and lasting benefits in manifestation.
The 8 of Wands, is also about activities and energy speeding up, rapid growth and development of ideas; fast thinking and communication not unlike being swept off of you feet or "falling" in love. Falling be a misrepresentation of cultural language as love is not a falling at all but rather a rapid expanding and often overwhelming flow of life force that changes individual perspective. Being rapid, there is also a caveat of caution here, for rapid motion can also create rapid error. It's best to know before you go! However that being said, there is a certain amount of joy in discovery, as many a spontaneous personality will tell you and the journey itself can be a lot of fun. So it could benefit you to just leave behind expectations and assumptions and like they said in the 60's ," Go with the flow!"
The Jungian Tarot-8 of Wands: Intellectual Activity, concentrates on the aggressive qualities of the fire suit as it pertains to applied intellect. Implied here, are the rapid rush of ideas, usually expressed in literary qualities of books, articles, public speaking and criticism. Although rapid, there is a high quality to the writing as it may be of great originality and pure genius; coming from the "above consciousness to the below personality". However, again a caveat, as unorganized rapid ideas will dissipate, like sparks leaving a roaring fire. Thoughts of inspiration, must be "brought down" to earth, and therefore organized and consciously thought out, or thoughts spoken may become rash and thoughtless speech as consequences are ill considered.
Therefore, the 8 of Wands, in Jungian Tarot implies the mental state and/or dilemma of many writers who must translate the rapid spiraling of unconscious materials into the linear perceptions of the conscious mind. The low numerical percentage of great poets, novelists and philosophers, points glaringly at the difficulty of such an undertaking.
For the querent, this card means:
- That in the next 8 day's, 8wks or 8 months (rapidity is relevant) your going to experience a rapid acceleration of activity in your undertakings.
- This card marks the end of a period of delay.
- Exciting times are ahead!
- Some people who insist on comfortable, laid back motion, may find this to be a kind of curse; like the much paraphrased Chinese curse of ," may you lead an exciting life!
- However, this card tends to mean rapid progress toward a felicitous goal and the arrows of love---you know, the ones that Cupid shoots into your heart.
- It is reminder to facilitate action and direct communication within the next 8 weeks or 8 months in order to eliminate procrastination and covert communication.
- The eight banded rainbow, symbolizes completeness in communication and action should be achieved in the next 8 weeks or 8 months and that this can only be achieved without prevarication.
- As things come up, the querent is advised to take swift action and directly communicate to important people in their life.This maybe especially relevant to Sagittarius in their lives (November 21 to December 21).
- Swiftness, a hasty communication such as letters, or messages.
- It can also imply too much force applied too suddenly, like a powerful surge of Kundalini (Primeval Serpent Force) moving up the spine before the person is ready for it. As many of us know this can cause a major disaster to the persona.
- This is a card of the, very rapid rush, but often too quickly passed and expended...like a brief orgasm. We are looking at the image of violent energy that is not lasting.
- Rapidity, courage, boldness, confidence, freedom and even warfare.
- This person likes the violent expression of energy such as sports.
- Yet this card can also mean love of open air (no restrictions), gardens, meadows.
- We may characterize this person as generous, subtle, eloquent, yet somewhat untrustworthy...most often because the are into rapid change as well.
- rapacious, insolent, oppressive. Theft and robbery. Whatever the interpretation, this card says, "This is as fast as it gets".
Understanding the "what and where" of this card is where the well developed intuition of the card reader comes into play, as well as, a deep understanding of the influence of the surrounding cards in the layout.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper!