The Qabalistic Thoth-3 of Cups- is -emotional Abundance.
This special card represents the fulfillment of The Will of Love in abounding joy.
Subtly, the 3 card also reminds us that the good things in life are not to be trusted as stationary, rather they are temporary items.
Therefore this card represents
emotional or intuitive clarification; clearer about what your feelings and intuition are saying.
Astrologically, this card is Mercury in Cancer.
- Mercury, on top of card, is the symbol of communication.
- Cancer, is the ability to communicate the emotional feelings one has especially the nurturing, loving, and light feelings one has as represented by the golden lotus blossoms spraying the "pollen of golden light" into the pomegranate cups.
- Pomegranate cups, represent the rich emotions one has received from others.
- The golden lotus represents the "solar plexus" chakra of an enlightened being, so this is emotion from deep within; the master within each of us; the emotion of the "secret lover" that resides in all of us.
The Pomegranate Cups of the Thoth Three of Cups, represents the fruit Persephone ate in the realms of Pluto (Hades), thereby allowing him to hold her in the lower world even after the most powerful influence was brought to bear. There is a subtle message here, that the good things in life should be enjoyed, but with a level of distrust. In other words "enjoy it while it lasts", and enjoy life when it changes.
In the Thoth Deck
, The Three of Cups represents Binah (All Mother) in the suit of Water and is the the card of Demeter or Persephone. Binah, the black Sephira, is symbolized by the calm dark Sea, from which arises a multi-bloomed single Lotus (many states of the One Goddess) that fills the Cups to overflowing. Being the Spiritual basis of fertility, this card is the fulfillment of the Will of Love in abounding joy.
The Three of Cups zodiacal reference is the influence of Mercury, the great communicator, in Cancer. Mercury, is the Will or Word of the All Father, and here it is descending on the most receptive of Signs---Cancer
However, the mysterious ideas brought about by this card abound, as Binah, the Great Sea of Life, is also the Moon in one aspect and Saturn in another, therefore the Life and Death of Form; and Mercury is also known as the guide to the souls of the dead. Needless to say, this card requires great subtlety of interpretation.
The Jungian Tarot-3 of Cups: Secure Environment
, is about a protected home environment, where all emotional, physical and mental needs are met. Hence, this card represents a safe and secure enclosed space. Psychologically, this is not always the home space itself, but the emotional involvement with Mother; the nurturing womb. Mother is home to many of us. She is a safe place to which we can return, albeit after a certain amount of dues are paid.
There isn't much in the art of this card to symbolize, stylish refinement, a certain charm, nurturing, and sympathy, yet it represents the great emotional center of the Unconscious, through its " deep blue sea" background. As in all emotion, there can be a certain charm and warmth or it can be carried to an excess where it becomes decadent, represented by the fiery red/orange sky. The black sphere is the 3rd Sephira on the Qabalistic Tree of Life, which represents the Great Mother Binah/Understanding.
If thrown during a reading the Three of Cups-Abundance, represents;
- Plenty, hospitality,eating, drinking,pleasure, dancing, new clothes and merriment.
- Abundance, plenty, success, sensuality, passive success, good luck and fortune.
- This card reminds me of the God of Wine, Bacchus, who engages in all the above in a bounty of food and wine....and suffering the hang-over the next day.
- The observant Reader should caution the Querent, that although great abundance is available, and to be enjoyed; try not to over do it.
- The deep emotional , abundant feelings that we have for three important people in our lives;
- Or it can represent that the next 3 weeks or 3 months should be a good time to communicate your deep feelings and utilize you nurturing communication abilities to motivate, empower, and comfort others.
- Remembering the Cancer people in your life (June 21 to July 21) with loving abundance and/or to communicate your deep feelings.
- This card is about love, abundance, healing and the expansion and liberation of self that those feelings generate.
- Being ternary, this card states that all three states of self identity are involved in communicating these abundant feelings; sub-conscious, consciousness, and self-conscious (ego to some).
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper!