THE QABALISTIC THOTH PRINCE OF DISKS (Pentacles)
In the zodiac,
the Prince of Disks rules from 21degrees Aries to 20 degrees Taurus.
The Prince of Disks is known as the Specific Air of Primal Earth.
To a Qaballist, this card represents the intelligence of the Element of Earth. This card has been likened to Merlin of Arthurian legend and/or the Green Man of the druids.
Taurus bull pulls
the chariot, the Prince holds the Staff of earthly
dominion, and an inverted orb that symbolizes: material force grossly
He is the Physical Architectand the builder of new worlds.
The steel chariot represents his steely eyed determination that he uses
to build fecund and fruitful worlds (flowers and fruit in the
background). The many little boulders in the back of the Chariot, are
from breaking down big obstructions into little ones so his new worlds
are less obstructive and difficult for the alive.
Prince of Disks
reforms the body through exercise as he is a sportsman.
Like Taurus the Bull, he forges ahead, unimpeded to form abundant and
beautiful structures. The double Helix, that he is holding shows his
ability to build new worlds that can be implemented consciously (winged
helmet) in concrete and aesthetic ways. He is the conscious of Cernunos, the "Green Man", and/or Earth Animus who as masculine expressive force, makes the shoots sprout, and the seed to grow. However, long before he became "Green George", a fictitious patron saint of England who was celebrated on St. Georges Day,
he was known to the Romans as the Feast of Pales,
a fertility ritual.
According to Medieval custom, St. George was honored on Easter (Ishtar) Monday, the Moon-day following the Sun-day of the Christ. Folklore named Green George, a pagan savior of Spring, often showing him surrounded with leaves and animals.
According to Barbra G. Walker,
[Author of the book, The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets] the Christians, notoriously adopted him as St. George the Dragon Slayer, "who apparently evolved from the mythic meld of Green George with an Arian Bishop of Alexandria who opposed St. Athanasius, and put to death an orthodox Master of the Mint named Dracontius, "Dragon"."
Interestingly the symbol of St.George was the Vesica Piscis, that represents the Holy Grail or Goddesses Yoni, a prime fertility symbol. However, the Patriarch nature of the Christian authorities declared this symbol a "Shield". Nobody was fooled, and St. George's day became a notoriously ribald fertility celebration; so notorious in fact, that soon St. George was discredited by the Church Fathers who called him an "imaginary saint".
An old English Ballad sang: "Some say there was no George; some say that there no Dragon was; Pray God, there was at least a Maid." [Brewster, 209-10]
In the present day this Hermetic Tarot card represents mastery of body, through sports and exercise.
The Jungian Tarot-Prince of Pentacles: The Self-Assured Son, concentrates on the "Bullish" Taurian nature of this card. Here the Archetypal Personality is:
- A self-confident Young man.
- One who doesn't easily take advice, as he knows he is always right.
- Persistent and successful in goals, especially when he can be talked into a compromise.
- A good companion whose extrovert qualities and playful eccentricities cause great admiration.
- He is pragmatic and more comfortable with the cause and effect of science, rather than occult, religious or metaphysical things.
- However, he has the natural intuition of Earthly Beings, making him often correct.
- On a negative bent, he is most often unable to admit to his folly, blaming it on the actions of others.
When thrown in divination, this card can represent:
A younger man or Taurus person that you are inspiring or is inspiring
you to be more physically active, or to move in directions more
fruitful for you or him.
- For women this card represents the inner animus of your nature that is the dynamic youthful aspect of yourself that loves activity.
- The Prince of Disks can also represent a desire to travel or relocate during the month of Taurus (April 21-May 21).
new people that inspire your moving in new directions or relocating in a
- This card shows the gift of practical thinking and
focus in the material world.
- An intense focus on security, to feel safe, secure and centered.
- Working steadily towards goals, knowing exactly what is wanted and singularly focused on getting it.
responsible,hardworking, and uncomplaining while being deeply rooted to
the outer-world and dedicated to practical matters.
- Pretty much ignoring the Inner-World.The Prince of Disks implies a Mastery
of the fluorescence and fruitification of Air (mind-intelligence) and
Earth (Material Architecture), a kind of magician when it comes to
As a personality Archetype whom the Querent will meet or has met:
- The Prince of Disks represents and ambitious young person who seeks to benefit from changing circumstances.
- This person is willing to work hard, toiling and striving for a chosen ambition.
steadfast and persevering bringing to bear great energy to material
matters but makes no great effort to understand emotional ideas.
person will also enjoy investigation into the origin of things with a
fearless following of clues disregarding possible dangers.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper!