The Thoth Tarot-TEN OF CUPS-SATIETY & The Barbara Walker Tarot-10 of Cups-SALVATION:
Astrologically this card is Mars in Pisces, therefore, we have a oddity.
you would think that Mars combined with a water sign would signify a
dispersal of energy and some frustration. But in this case, the fire of
Mars causes a kind of steamy evaporation of the Watery sign of Pisces to
expand into the world of Briah, (the unconscious Mental World of Creativity) bringing
great success in the Material World where dreams have enough "Steam" to
The Thoth-10 of Cups,
illustrates that happiness is "inspired from above" and in ordinary divination means that matters definitely arranged and settled as wished, permanent and lasting success of one issue.
that Traditional Tarot is best applied to mundane matters, any explanation of this
card should stop here; However, the work proper to water (unconscious)
is complete, and disturbance is due. This Satiety, will last about 10
weeks or at the most 10 months, and then it will be time to move on
before the watery realm of emotion becomes stagnant forming into a
static kind of sophistry.
The Thoth Ten of Cups, Satiety, although in the
seemingly stable form of the Tree of Life, has a conflicting element
that causes a tilting of the Cups, spilling water from the Great Lotus
that overhangs the whole system. As stated:This conflict is from Mars in
Pisces. Mars is a noted gross, violent force, depicted in Myth as the
God of War who attacks any noted imperfection. Pisces, is notably
peaceful, spiritual, sensitive, psychic, and receptive and not inspired by Mars is brutality,
fiery passions and domineering tenancies.This combination means that the proper work of Water
is done, and a substantial disturbance is on the horizon. In fact, Mars in Pisces,
is considered by many astrologers to be the worst position of the 12
Yet, through all this supposed astrological doom and gloom, when this card is thrown during a reading,
it means that emotional matters on one issue, are definitely arranged and
settled...for the moment. Pleasure proceeds, to dissipation and putrefaction, as energy-in-motion follows the second law of thermodynamics
[..All things proceed from order to disorder]. The message here is ,"
Enjoy the moment of completion, all is done; sit back, have a dram",
but laurels soon wilt, and next you'll be called on to preform at your best,
as the gematria of 1+0=1, which means an event needing Willful intent (Magus)
will soon apply.
Therefore, Ten is a number
that when added together [1+0 =1), you end up at the beginning. It is
the "up the down staircase"
number that places us on top of one flight
of stairs, only to find out that we are at the bottom of another flight.
In Tarot it is common to call the Ten of Cups, permanent success,
but Qabalists know it is only on one issue and that the only
permanency in this One Energy in Motion-Universe, is change/transformation. Yet
here dances the "Lord of Material Happiness", the tenth Sephiroth,
Malkuth and all seems well...but then we all know how long happiness in
material things lasts!
Both The Thoth-Ten of Cups-Satiety & The Barbara Walker 10 of Cups: Salvation,
highlight the issue of attaining an earthly paradise, of harmonious love, security, peace, and union. As Barbara Walker States: " A true salvation from men's greatest fears: loneliness or abandonment."
Suggesting a very deep Satiety.
Hence, both cards represents deep
emotional contentment that radiates outwardly from the inner self.
Throughout the underground history and tradition of pagan religions, this paradise of internal harmony, was known as the external Fairyland, or Joyous Gard, Venus's Mount (mons veneris), Torelore, The Castle of the Holy Grail on Montsalvatch, and/or the Mount of Salvation. The Arthurian Grail legend, although partially Christianized, identified the mistress of the divine castle as Elaine or Elen, an ancient Celtic name for the Moon Goddess. Therefore, both the castle, Elaine and the hero "care taker of the Grail" are shown on B.W.'s Card. Here is represented a literal and immediate and human reading of salvation through love.
The Thoth Tarot 10 of Cups, has a
back ground pattern that the radiant cups rest on, representing the Qabalistic Tree
of Life which is the symbol of the "Supreme Being" and/or Adam
Khadmond, showing that this card symbolizes complete emotional, mental,
and physical contentment. However,
complete as it is, the Astrological aspect of this
card is the Red- Warrior, Mars in Pisces. Therefore, it also states that due to the dynamic vitality
and sometimes violent motion of Mars, the peaceful waters (emotions)
of Pisces are soon to be disturbed. This should not surprise any of us
since change is the only constant in life. Hence, it is suggested that for now, enjoy the deep
satisfaction of a job well done that comes from an alignment of all the
states of energy consciousness that we are composed of. This is an
experience of a deep spiritual nature of satisfaction that knows soon it
will be time to move on.
To further promote understanding of the importance of the number 10 in Tarot, here are some interesting facts about the number 10 in both numerology and Qabalistic Gematria:
- Numerical value of the Hebrew letter Iod, "Ego", representing the Active-Self principled by excellence.
- The ten "sephiroth" of the Sephirotic Tree of the Qabalah, which are considered as being divine attributes, as indicates their names:
- Kether: Crown
- Chokmah: Wisdom
- Binah: Intelligence
- Chesed: Grace, Magnitude or Clemency
- Geburah: Justice, Force or Rigor
- Tiphareth: Beauty or Husband
- Netzach: Triumph or Victory
- Hod: Glory or Splendor
- Yesod: Foundation or Basis
- Malkuth: Wife, Royalty, Kingdom or Reign
- It is also considers the question of an eleventh "Sephira" which is not usually represented on the Sephirotic Tree of the Qabalah. Its name is "Daath" or "Ain-Soph", the unknowable one, that is really the Womb of the High Priestess and yet it is also the Sephiroth of knowledge, from which our Souls are "gestated" and subsequently are "born" into this Universe. Therefore, presented are the Properties of the number 10 Symbolism that suggest this Sephiroth.
- Symbol of the matter in harmony - 4 + 6.
- Represent the Creator and the creation, 3 + 7, the Trinity resting in the expressed universe.
- For Pythagoras, 10 was the symbol of the universe and it also expressed the whole of human knowledge.
- Sum of 5 + 5, the number 10 represents the two opposite current directions of the conscience: involution and evolution.
- According to H.- P. Blavatsky, the 1 followed by 0 indicates the column and the circle, meaning the principle of the female and male, and this symbol would refer to the Androgyne nature and also to Jehovah, being at the same time male and female, i.e, The High Priestess.
- The zero in the form of circle is a symbol of unit, completing then the meaning of the number 1 to show that the number 10 contains all preceding numbers as a whole contains its parts.
- Represent the first couple, the marriage: 1 = the man, 0 the egg fertilized by the 1. The ten gives the indication of a spiritual regression since the marriage is a consequence of "the fall of man", which simply means a journey into a more condensed state; from subjective to objective.
- The number ten is regarded as the most perfect of numbers, because it contains the Unit that did it all, and the zero, symbol of the matter and the Chaos, of which all came out; it then includes in its figure the created and the non-created, the beginning and the end, the power and the force, the life and the no-thing.
- It represents the straightness in the faith because it is the first number "in extension" (of two digits), just as hundred and thousand, explains Hugues of Saint-Victor.
- According to Agrippa, "ten is called the number of all or universal, and the complete number marking the full course of life." Also he attributes to it a sense of totality, the achievement, the return to the unit after the development of the cycle of the first nine numbers.
- Represent the revelation and the Divine Law.
- To the Mayas, of Central-America, it represents the end of a cycle and the beginning of another. The ten was regarded as being the number of the life and the death.
- In China, the cross represents the number 10 - as the totality of the numbers.
: MALKUTH, Earth, is the 10th Serphiroth on the Tree of Life, and is the placement of the 4 Tarot- Tens.
Crowley calls the Thoth 10 of Cups card, The Lord of Perfected Success
, as this is the influence of MALKUTH in the unconscious Mental World known as Briah. Satiety, is word meaning
, filled to the point of excess
, though it is hard to argue that excessive happiness is a negative thing; However, it could be distracting.
is exceptional about
this card, is that the general astrological
meaning of Mars in Pisces doesn't apply. Pisces is a watery sign, and
Mars would signify a dispersal of energy to a point of frustration.However, the meaning here is that fiery Mars causes
the Waters of Pisces to rush furiously into Briah-The Creative World. bringing great
success on the Material plane of Malkuth. The imagery of this card
expresses the opinion that all happiness is inspired from above, i.e.
comes from the Divine. One could say that Happiness, is a higher-inner
state of energy consciousness, where Spirit-Body and Mind bask in equalized Love.To be sure, when Tarot is used for
Divination, it is best applied to Mundane matters, where as the meaning
may be different if applied to a more spiritual plane. The Placement of
the cards, in the reading will clarify this statement.
In ordinary matters, the divined meaning is
- Matters definitely arranged as wished, permanent and lasting success.
meaning of material success is reinforced if the 10 of Cup's lands on
the position of "Beneath you" or "of House and Home", on a Celtic Cross
layout. In fact, that would be paramount for this card, as it is a 10 of
Malkuth (Kingdom) in a Earthly existence position.
- It indicates that in the next 10 weeks or 10 months you will experience
a sense of deep vitality and energy radiating outward accompanied by
feelings of contentment and satiety flowing through all aspects of your
- A heart felt contentment.
- This could also
represent a deeply satisfying relationship with the Pisces people in
your life; those born during the time of February 21 to March 21.
- Enjoy the moment of success, and celebrate it with others and fear not moving on into other new areas of creation when done.
- Remember, that Permanent and lasting success is a warning that here your life experience can be held as a comfortable end,
a kind of death, or you can enjoy the moment of success and then try
something new, transforming the energy into another momentary motion.
- A even deeper esoteric meaning is that, It's okay to party, but let not the party be your goal.
- Rather, use the expressive power of your celebration to laughingly move on into other unexplored areas of energy transformation.
way to remind yourself of this is just remove the zero from the end of
the number 10 which will give you 1. That would be the Ace of Cups,
which represents the dawning of new ideas and enters the realm of
reasoning consciousness where choices are made.
- In this
realm of creation, strength comes from adversity and necessitates
purposeful "new ideas" to continue a happy and successful life.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper!