The Thoth Tarot: Queen of Swords,& The Barbara Walker Tarot-Queen of Swords-Kali:
represents Mastery of Objective Thinking and Clarity
of Intellectual Thinking
. The lavishly illustrated Queen Tarot card represents The Greek Goddess Athena or if Hindu, The Goddess Kali.
In the Thoth Tarot
, She is sitting on a cloud, with sword and mask or head of the patriarch in hand, as she is the mask-cutter;
the fair witnessing mind
who removes all illusion and sees the Real that is masked by indoctrinated reality.
The Queen of Swords persona (see birth chart) has cut through her own masks, roles, and defenses in order to retain her clarity and objectivity (The crystal crown). The child's head above the crown of clarity, symbolizes her child-like innocence and curiosity.
This Queen is the counselor or consultant for others and also has the courage to seek counsel and consulting for herself when necessary.
Therefore this card represents the mastery of objective which is the deepening of a centered rational mind; the quality of mind that demands objectivity, authenticity, and abandonment of pretense. The Observer within our consciousness which is detached from roles and assists us in reconnecting with our child like truth.
The Hermetic Tarot-QUEEN OF SWORDS:
In the zodiac, the Queen of Swords rules from 21 degrees Virgo to 20 degrees Libra. This is Water-emotions of Air-Mind, which is not only power of transmission but elastic as well.
In the Thoth card we see the Queen of Swords as a kind of Golden Kali, with Her sharp sword of wit in one hand and the severed head/ or Mask of a adult male in the other. Yet the innocence of a child is shown on top of her stellar-crystal clear mind, where ideas are clear and concise. The Queen of Swords represents the Liberated Mind with clear perception of idea.
The Barbara Walker Tarot- Queen of Swords, choose to depict her queen as the Earliest Traditional form of Kali-The Destroyer Goddess of India. Here she is shown standing on her lover, Shiva, who represented the Universe, eating his entrails, while newer versions often shown her holding his dismembered head, and wearing a skull girdle. Sometimes she was depicted with 4 arms, sometimes more; however she always held the symbols of the elements, Sword, cup, earth, and fire which is shown on B.W.'s card as her hair. No matter how terrible or artistic the representation of The Divine Creative, it is the Mother of all Form, and the Destroyer of All Form. This is simply because the medium of form is time/space, and has a beginning and an end.
Esoterically, The Queen of Swords, is another form of Mother Binah
(3rd Sephiroth/Understanding) if awakened within the consciousness, assists the self-conscious
when it enters the Astral realm (Yetzirah, the Formative World of Deception) trims the self-conscious of all deception by the sharp sword of concise perception and protects our identity from the fantasy and illusion .
It is the very head of mankind, the thinking center of words, definitions, and all concepts of division-ism made by mankind's identities of separation, that deceive us, removing us from What is Real. Rather than the Personality of the Soul with perspectives of Spirit, that is born as a "golden child", we have a personality that perceives a "reality" born of indoctrination and survival thinking of the animal. When this "man-made mind" is removed, so is the "Tower of Babel" that are words. Removing the mask of words, the True Conscious Psyche that resides on the "other side of the Mirror", transmits knowledge not made by words, nor clouded by fear, but transmitted via intuition and imagination. Imagination, is the "Womb-with-a view", she uses Image (Mandalas/pictures/forms) as her expression of idea.
Words, no mater how artfully presented
, are controlled definition supplied to us by our "Rulers" who control definition by enforcement---and their only power is our reaction to this enforcement
, which later becomes our reaction to words. Powerful Idea, is made manifest and is all Action and cares little for reaction. Therefore, on the Thoth Card we have the head of the innocent child, who is not concerned with reaction, but clear and concise in idea. Spirit is Will and therefore, Action. While the body is run by a survival mind, and therefore, reaction.
As you can see, this Queen Card,
be it Thoth or Barbara Walker's, may seem a complicated card, not because of obfuscation but rather because of our inability to disconnect our identity from the trickster in our pleasure/pain indoctrinated brain; we are bedeviled by thoughts of predation. Many of us fear the action of confrontation, and use words as reactive survival weapons. Most of us honestly believe that words are knowledge and condemn or praise each other with definitions! However, everyone or everything had to be "Defined into Definition" by Creation, before we have ever seen it! Therefore, you already are Known
into being, not a being who must be identified by those you meet. This may shock you, but the earth is not a court room, where you are judged by your "peers". Knowledge built you so it could work the material of the Universe and earth into what is a hands-on living expression of Imagination!
Those who believe that words
create reality, fail to understand that if they yell with all their force the word Grass
, that man- made identity of plant fails to grow on the floor; both the floor and the realm of Plants fail to see any power in a word; the unmitigated gal! But if one visualizes, plants the seeds, and fertilizes, all of which are actions of power and/or the ableness of imagination at work, grass will grow whether one gives it definition or not; for grass by any other name is still a green leafy plant, that existed long before words.
Power is described, in English dictionaries, as the "ability to do work",
therefore it is not a belief system, based on fear, but rather an Active Dynamic of Creation
. Contrary to those who think a "sacred place" is outside the body, the body that we call human, is a Power Tool of Spirit, that enables Our Psyche and the inherited Mother Conscious-Imagination, to work ideas into manifestation (Transformations of the One Energy) in all aspects of the Tree of Life, including the Realm of Malkuth/Earth. To the Soul, personalities are known by deeds/action, not by words and reaction. In the Real Identity of the Divine Creative, we have been praised into manifestation as a clear concise idea of the Divine Creative's Self Image!
The principles of the Queen of Swords brings us to an understanding of how we are deceived by thoughts while showing us how to transcend deception byKnowing Ourselves as we are Known to Her/the Divine Feminine.Truth is perceived in the manifestation of idea and not a reaction to it. The Reaction of emotional "out-burst", is fear of idea which really translates to "fear of vulnerability".
The Queen of Swords is attributed with the elasticity of this combination of Imagination and consciousness and the power of transmission that this current provides.
To reiterate: She rules the zodiac
from the 21st degree of Virgo to the 20th degree of Libra. In the Thoth Deck Tarot, she is enthroned upon clouds (Watery-Air), topless and wearing a gleaming belt and sarong, symbolizing the Great Mother of Consciousness. Upon her helmet is the child head crest from which the sharp rays of light are emitted, illuminating her empire of celestial dew.[Celestial dew is the substance that radiates from the pineal gland when it is stimulated in a higher vibration by the Kundalini, that baptizes the brain, resurrecting the 2/3ds of "sleeping brain" that is not used in the mundane, human-being. This dew awakens Divya-Sidhis and/or "magic abilities"]
. The Child crest symbolizes the Golden-Divine Child within us all---the Innocent One of Enlightenment before we are "dumbed down" by condensing our Inherited Energy into form and man-made indoctrination.
In her right hand, on both cards,
the Queen of Swords holds a sword (the Sword of Geburah-Severity) and in her left hand the head of a bearded man, or the bowl of blood. As stated, the bearded man represents the Mask of Patriarchal Culture that we use to define ourselves----when in Truth, We have already been Defined by the Divine as It's Child---enlightenment comes from realizing that no-further self definition is needed as we've been Defined into Being already! All other definition is just masking our Truth. So here we can see that the Queen of Swords is the clear conscious perception of Idea, the Liberator and expander of the Mind (The Tantra of Mind). The Bowl of Blood, represents the "Life blood of the Mother" and the Womb.
Hence, The Queen of Swords
represents the True Will (Will-To-Form) and has the power to cleave away the unnecessary gross to build the Pure idea. To some this can be disastrous, for "the Gross" is all they believe in, knowing not their own Pure Self they see Kali-Ma as a Fanged Hag with Severed Heads (symbolizing personality death) and sometimes standing on the backs of copulating Lovers who die in her Sword thrust. Traditionally, the "little death" of orgasm is resplendent in this image, causing even greater fear of "male-female" union amongst the literal- ignorant. However, to the knowledgeable, the union of male-female is the sacred act of communion that builds All. [Tantric studies are recommended for those who wish to Know and expand beyond and be liberated from fear of sensuality].....the flesh-o-phobes
may just shiver in the joy of the nightmare of sensuality that comes with having a form build out of Divine Sensual Passion. The Lust To Be, i
s knowledge of the "Big Bang"---the Great Orgasm that has activated us all. To know the Dancing/Destroying Goddess-God, is to Know Thyself!
Now, I don't want to cause anyone to overly scourge their poor innocent body for the "wrong-doing" of the Survival mind when it receives impassioned thought; thought that seems out of control, only because the "man-made ego" is too weak to suppress Divine power which is to be directed by True Ego willful action! When that fear based weakness masking us is removed, we find that we are the Divine Power that has clear purpose and Great Will to Be!
The Archetypical personality of the Queen of Swords card represents, would describe a person as:
- Lucidity of perception.
- A keen observer (cutting edged), a subtle interpreter, an intense individualist, swift and accurate at recording ideas.
- Confident in action, with a gracious and just spirit.
- Being graceful in motion and extraordinary in balance, she will have exceptional dancing abilities.
- A very strong willed mature Woman who clearly knows what she wants and can bring about her ideas swiftly and without nonsense.
If ill dignified She will be:
- Avery dangerous person, of exceptional cruelty, slyness, and deceitfulness, all wrapped-up in a superficial beauty and attractiveness.
- This ill dignity would be because of her inability to support interference, so foresight, prudence, care in preparation of action (paying attention to details) will safeguard the individual from the negative side of this personality.
- When personified, this Archetype Personality is usually:
- An older woman who has loved and lost but is undaunted.
- She is strong willed and determined with clarity of idea.
- A woman who can bear whatever life presents.
- She can be critical of emotional outbursts and knows that mental discipline is a necessary part of balance emotions.
- She is a master of equanimity and negativity.
- She knows words are necessary for communication of ideas, but not truth nor final judgment.
- The Querent is coming into a phase of realization.
- Realizing that reacting emotionally to worded thought is a trick that keeps us enslaved to the visions of others.
- Rather, she/he now understands (or soon will) that active participation in our own ideas, is why we have a body in the first place!
- Be full of Your Idea, and clear and sharp on your destination and then----Go For It! Do or die, is what life is. I would rather die doing what I enjoy than die as a slave to someone's definition.
- The counseling or consulting aspect that is witnessed when people ask for clarification or have the desire to get to the bottom of things.
- This is an aspect of mind that any decent Tarot Reader knows personally and for me, passionately. For I being a practicing Qabalist, and Tantric Student, I am familiar with Kali Ma, Kali Ema and Kali Uma as a union of the three stages of the female anima (Earth Feminine consciousness) Maid, Mother and Crone. Each one of these aspects of the Divine Feminine, demands the release of pretense and self-absorbed ego.
- Illusion must be stripped away from our eyes that are blinded by culture, indoctrination and thought organized for us by others.
- To be psychic is to be child- like in your observation, where everyone is another way to be you but not necessarily the way you are. Observation without judgment of right and wrong rather the observation of the persons journey towards the Real Self.
- She knows, and does not believe, as she sees belief as untried theory. In other-words, belief is pretense of knowledge and is not to be confused with faith which is Trust. Metal clarity, is a place many of us fear to go-----we fear we might not like what we see. You will be surprise when you become mentally clear, Truth built you so it could be you. Truth is made manifest as you, it is a dynamic presence, not a belief system. Kali/Athena may seem ruthless, but she is precisely merciful with out the pretense of "bowing to our weakness".
For more information about this card or all of them and/or a live reading on-line or in person; email <firstname.lastname@example.org>. Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper.